The Russell Pastoral Company manages two large aggregations throughout Southern and Central Queensland, which produce a range of cattle, grain and fibre crops.
The company’s best known station- Jimbour- was one of the first stations established when the Darling Downs was opened for European settlement . The Government Gazette of 1841 records that the original station property stretched from Jandowae in the north to Dalby in the south, and from the Bunya Mountains in the east to the Condamine River in the west.
These days Jimbour comprises approximately 4,500 hectares of diverse country and which includes prized Jimbour Plain chocolate soils used for cropping as well as basalt soils on the hill country which is used for grazing and the production of fodder.
Jimbour runs approximately 500 high quality F1 Wagyu/Angus cross females for use in F2 Wagyu (75% Wagyu) cattle production. Jimbour also annually backgrounds up to 2000 steers and surplus heifers turned off from the Champion aggregation.
Champion Station is located 60km north east of Blackall and 600km west of Rockhampton.
The property incorporates Harden Park in the midst of the aggressively sought after Blackall district and totals approximately 55,000 hectares. Rainfall averages 18″ per annum with the property watered by 6 flowing capped bores.
Champion is highly developed with two thirds pulled brigalow/gidyea country sown to Buffel, running into Box and Broadleaf Iron Bark forest with some desert country.
A breeding herd of over 4,000 Angus cross cows is the basis for an annual turnoff in excess of 3,000 young cattle per year to premium cattle and beef markets.